WELCOME!


The Basics: I am a single Dad. I have sole custody. My son has profound hearing loss. He has an awesome pair of hearing aids. We both know a lot of sign language. I work at the Single Parent Resource Centre. We like reading and video games, and nature and movies. I wish I could've marched with Martin Luther King Jr. and I wish I could've seen Stevie Ray Vaughan in concert.
If you have a perspective; an informed opinion or just a question, I'd be happy to hear from you: tmichealt@hotmail.com
Namaste

Monday, May 20, 2013

Heros

Been an eye opening weekend. Read Escape From Camp 14 about Shin Dong-Hyuk escaping from Kaechon Internment Camp 14 in North Korea. Born into a brainwashed, isolated, and tortured existence. He is still the only person born in such a camp to survive and get his horrible story out to us - the rest of the world. And there are many camps similar. We have no idea just how lucky we are!

And just finished watching High Ground, my favorite documentary of the year (not including St'at'imckalh, Spirit of The People). I liked Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness but this film has REAL heroes. Men and women who put their lives into the Iraq/Afganistan war and came out severely injured. Even blind. The film is a transitional, visual story about their experiences as they all attempt to summit Mt. Lobuche, a 20,075 foot peak close to Mt. Everest. If you ever needed a kick in the ass to say: "You can do anything!", watch this movie and be moved by real superheroes, one of which is blind and still manages to make it to the summit.
...This post is a simple expression of remembrance that, no matter what we've been through or what we perceive as holding us back, you don't need to have a suit of steel or even an awesome spaceship to go where no men or woman has gone before. You already have your power: You. And YOU can do anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment